Thursday, January 28, 2010

TV Withdrawls!


Confession, I really like TV. Some might say I was a little addicted. The DVR could quite possibly be one of my best friends. However; not all friendships can last forever. I have had this nagging feeling that the TV was becoming the main attraction in our house. Kambri and Bennett loved it a little too much and that's all they wanted to do. The first thing they did in the morning was want to watch TV. Being pregnant, I wanted to take a nap and have a break and Kambri is always up for watching a movie, which ended up happening way too much. And I am guilty too, I had too many shows recorded that I had to watch and would end up going to bed way too late every night. I love reality TV and felt like I was spending too much time invested in other people's lives. Well I could never bring myself to get rid of it, but when you move you don't have it anyways. Therefore the break-up happened. I no longer have TV. Now I'm not just talking Dish, I am talking nothing, zero, zip, nada. It has been almost a week and like all addictions I am having a little bit of a withdrawal. To my credit Brandon has been working nights on a job for the last week and I am all alone in this house with nothing to do! I did watch the Bachelor on Hulu (which now might be my new best friend) but that is the only thing I have watched since we have moved. My kids are doing OK, they still ask to watch it every morning but now they can only watch movies and one a day to ease them out of the habit! It's not as bad as I thought, but it is a little too quiet right now and I would love the noise of my long lost friend! In the long run though, I feel like my kids will benefit from it and I will be able to get a lot more done at night, like blogging!!! And who knows maybe we will end up getting some TV, but for now I will have to rely on my lovely computer to comfort me:)
PS my kids seem to be doing really well with the move! They are sleeping good and hopefully have adjusted well. Bennett now says I want to go home to the new house! And me, I am doing pretty good too. We closed on our Riverdale house today which was 5 years to the date that we moved in there, crazy!

15 comments:

Lindsey Rose said...

I am so glad all is going well with the move, I cant wait to see all the pictures of the new place! I love this post, something for all of us to think about!

Jamie Hadlow said...

Good job on the no TV thing. I talked to Ry about doing that a little while ago but he looked at me like I was crazy...I think he loves TV more than me;). What about Vampire Diaries? You can come over and watch it at my house if you want.

Erin said...

When we moved we did not have TV for 2 weeks and it was the BEST thing for our family. I found out that the kids actually have an imagination! The boys played all day and all night and Derek and I went to bed at a decent time.
We now have TV and have for some time and I too feel like it is ALWAYS on. I don't think I could go without, but we have been trying to not watch as much :)

Glad to hear all is going well Kara! I feel like I have not seen you forever!

Sharstin said...

that is awesome girly! that would be something good to try~ but hard- I for sure like to relax with a couple shows at night :) I am glad everyone is doing well with the move~

Toni said...

Again, same life! We have TV here but no DVR so I watch shows online but man, I freaked out when I realized I couldn't record my shows! Now I don't watch it at all and I really get a lot accomplished. Will I still get it in my new house?? YYYESSSS. But it is kind of nice to not have it, huh.

Mindi D said...

Wow good job. For now i am working on breaking my diet coke addiction, tv will have to come later. We were out of a computer for a week a while ago and same thing, it was hard, but i got a TON done! Sometimes we have to be forced!

Jordan said...

I am 100% reliant on the television/cable/reality shows that if something were to happen, it might get really ugly. Kudos for you, though! Definetely healthier for everyone!

Morgan Greaves said...

When we were younger my parents couldn't get cable where we lived and satellites were not as popular as they were now. We didn't have TV for MONTHS and MONTHS...then when we did finally get it we just got the rabit ears...so local TV was our only choice. Basically I didn't have TV from 9th grade - maybe my senior year. It's amazing the things you replace your time with when you don't have TV!! Although I would go to school and people would talk about Friends and Sienfield and I was so socially retarded because I could never chime into their conversations. :)

Morgan Greaves said...

When we were younger my parents couldn't get cable where we lived and satellites were not as popular as they were now. We didn't have TV for MONTHS and MONTHS...then when we did finally get it we just got the rabit ears...so local TV was our only choice. Basically I didn't have TV from 9th grade - maybe my senior year. It's amazing the things you replace your time with when you don't have TV!! Although I would go to school and people would talk about Friends and Sienfield and I was so socially retarded because I could never chime into their conversations. :)

KT said...

Wow I can't believe you lived in your Riverdale house for 5 years! That is a long time. I remember my kids would say home to the new house also! Makes it a little easier.
Good job on the TV thing. My problem is I'm not a great entertainer, so my toddlers watch way too much, until they can play on their own. I just can't relax unless my house is at least straightened.
I doubt your the only prego or even not prego person who has your kids watch tv so you can take a nap. I know I'm guilty.
Well, since you're computer is your friend, post some before pic's of your house!

Anonymous said...

I hate tv. My kids never really watched it when we did have it and there was only a few shows that I watched so it was easy to get rid of it. The longer you go the easier it gets. I'm a big reader so maybe you could try that when your bored. It's like tv in your head. Good luck with the all the new changes.

Palmers said...

That is so crazy on the 5 year to the date....way weird. I don't know how you do it without t.v you are good, I love the whole tivo thing. It is my best friend. I really need to come and see you. Why is Brandon working nights so much?

Eichmeiers said...

I could NEVER do that! I have to have my tv!! I have so many shows that i can't/don't want to miss:) Good luck with that! If you need to watch anything, come here and watch it:)

The Hunts said...

Hey we do the same thing. We're right there with ya. It's not so bad...we love it. Yes we watch movies all the time but really I'd never get anything done if we had tv!! Good for you guys..it's worth it

Jeff and Cecilee said...

wow, you are more disciplined than I thought! :) Yeah, we don't have it either. It is amazing how important it becomes when it is around. It is definitely a waste of time! Yes shows are missed, but there are definitely more important things!! Way to go...I am proud!! :)